Map Of Adelaide 1849 MAPCO : Map And Plan Collection Online

Map Of Adelaide 1849

Plan Of Country Sections &c In The Immediate Vicinity Of The City Of Adelaide
In The Province Of South Australia 1849.

Coast Line, Le Fevre's Peninsula, Port Adelaide, Hindmarsh Reach, Torren's Island, & Proposed Line Of Tramway To Mr Strangway's Section At North Arm (2017) Torren's Island, Garden Island, North Arm, & Proposed Line Of Tramway To Mr Strangway's Section At North Arm (2017) Great North Road, Fuller's (The 'Bird in Hand' Public House), & Dry Creek Great North Road & Dry Creek The Dry Creek & Country Sections Unsurveyed Area
Coast Line, Queen's Town, Albert Town, & River Torrens Albert Town, Miner's Village, Tenterden, Tam O'Shanter Belt, Prospect, Bowden, Hindmarsh, River Torrens, & Thebarton Tam O'Shanter Belt, Prospect, Bowden, City Of Adelaide, & River Torrens River Torrens, Payneham, Magill, & Kensington River Torrens, Riversedge, & Silver Mine River Torrens, Anstey, Victoria Gold Mine, & Montacute Copper Mine
Coast Line, Holdfast Bay, River Thames, River Sturt, Glenelg, & Brighton Cowandilla, Twickenham, North Richmond, Richmond, Brownhill Creek, Plympton, Edward's Town, Hammersmith, River Sturt, & Marion City Of Adelaide, Cemetery, Goodwood, Unley, Great Eastern Road, Brownhill Creek, Mitcham, & Government Farm Great Eastern Road, Brownhill Creek, & Country Sections Mount Lofty Compass Rose
Coast Line, Brighton, Marino, & Seacombe Marion, River Sturt, & Country Sections Government Farm & Country Sections Government Farm & Map Title Map Title Map Title

The Map

Map Title Plan Of Country Sections &c In The Immediate Vicinity Of The City Of Adelaide In The Province Of South Australia.
Year 1849
Publisher James Chaplin Hailes
Publisher Details Adelaide : Sold at Platts's Library, Hindley Street, corner of King William Street
And may be had of J.C. Hailes, 104 Leadenhall Strt, London.
Publication Year Late 1849 / Early 1850
Size 71.8cm x 65.2cm (28¼" x 25¾")
Scale Not given.
1" : ¾ Statute Mile (Approx.)

Hand coloured engraved map. Paper, dissected and mounted on linen, folding into protective cloth covered boards. Label for 'Platt's Stationery Warehouse' on inside cover.

The map includes the names of Adelaide areas that have long since disappeared, including Tenterden, Miners' Village, Tam O'Shanter (known as the Tam O'Shanter Belt), Twickenham, Cowandilla, and Hammersmith.

Some quite familiar places carry their original names, such as Le Fevre's Peninsula, Albert Town (that became Alberton), Queens Town, Edwards Town, the Great North Road (now Main North Road), the Great Eastern Road (now Glen Osmond Road), and the River Thames at Glenelg (now the Patawalonga).

The map also shows the proposed route of the tramway to Mr Strangways' at the North Arm, Port Adelaide; the Government Farm; and the Montacute Copper Mine, Riverside Silver Mine, and Victoria Gold Mine.

The only watercourses labeled on the map are the Dry Creek, Brownhill Creek, the River Torrens, and the River Sturt.

'Fuller's' is shown and labeled on the Great North Road at the Dry Creek. This would probably have been the 'Bird in Hand' public house, which John Fuller had taken over as licencee from John Stuckey on 12 June 1848. Fuller passed on the licence to John Merryweather on 11 September 1849, helping to date this map between these two dates.

It is worth noting that Fuller was living at the Dry Creek as early as 1847, so further research is required to determine if Fuller was perhaps an unlicenced victualler prior to 1848. This seems unlikely, as John Hill was running the 'Dry Creek Inn' on the road to Gawler Town from at least 14 August 1844. On that particular day, a crowd had gathered at the Inn to cheer on Captain Sturt's expedition to search for the inland sea, as they headed up the Great North Road.

Platts's Stationery Warehouse

Platts's Stationery Warehouse Label
The proposal for construction of a railway from Port Adelaide to the City of Adelaide was first announced on 6 January 1849 (South Australian Register, Saturday, 6 January 1849, page 2 column a), and by 23 May a proposed route to Mr Strangways' at Newport, North Arm, was being discussed (South Australian Register, Wednesday 23 May 1849, page 3 column c).

Given the information above, it seems likely that this map can be dated between 23 May 1849 and 11 September 1849.

The map was first advertised for sale in The South Australian newspaper on Tuesday 12 March 1850 (page 3, column c):

Important Information To The Public.
JUST Published, a New Zincographic Map of the Country Sections in the Vicinity of Adelaide; the largest and most correct ever issued. Price Seven Shillings, to be obtained at
PLATT'S Library   
Auction Mart Portico, and      

Six advertisements for the map subsequently appeared on page 1 of The South Australian between 15 March 1850 and 5 April 1850, with the name of Platts's Library correctly shown in the ad.

A small article on the map was published in The South Australian on Friday 15 March 1850 (page 2, column c):

MAP OF ADELAIDE AND THE SURROUNDING DISTRICTS. Platts, Adelaide, Hailes, London. -- We have much pleasure in recommending to the attention of the business community this new map, which appears to us the most complete yet published. The whole of the sections within ten miles of Adelaide are accurately delineated, with the localities of the following villages and places of note : -- Cowandilla, Richmond, North Richmond, Twickenham, Plympton, Hammersmith, Edwards Town, Glenelg, River Thames, Marion, Brighton, Seacombe, Marino, Unley, Brownhill Creek, Mitcham, Government Farm, Great Eastern Road, Kensington, Mackgill, Riversedge, Silver, Montacute, Copper, and Victoria Gold Mines, Dry Creek, Great North Road, Prospect, Bowden, Hindmarsh, Thebarton, Tam O'Shanter, Alberton, Queen's Town, Miners' Village, Port Adelaide, Lefevre's Peninsula, North Arm, Torrens, and Garden Islands. The map will supply a desideratum long wanted by the public.

The following dates relate to the first known reference, survey, or purchase of the Country Sections bearing a name on this map. The date of 1848 for the establishment of Queen's Town further supports the 1849 date of the map.

Section No. Place Named or Established Notes (Coming Soon)
Section 1 Thebarton Surveyed July 1839  
Section 51 Edwards Town November 1838  
Section 52 Hammersmith By May 1845 First newspaper reference in the South Australian Register, Saturday, 17 May 1845 (page 3 column c). This is an early record of Hammersmith in Section 52. Hammersmith was later also associated with a portion of the adjacent Section 92, owned by Henry Hudd.
Section 90 Richmond 1839  
Section 92 Cowandilla 1840  
Sections 94 & 95 North Richmond By June 1841 See the South Australian Register, Saturday 12 June 1841 (page 4 column a)
Section 103 Twickenham 1839  
Section 108 Plympton By 1840 as Plympton Hamlets  
Section 117 Marion November 1838  
Section 200 Seacombe By April 1843 See the South Australian Register, Saturday 29 April 1843 (page 3 column a)
Section 221 Goodwood Blocks sold in early 1840s  
Sections 236, 237 & 238 Brighton 1839  
Section 238 Unley By 1840  
Section 244 Marino By 1840  
Section 248 Mitcham By c1840  
Section 285 Magill Surveyed October 1838  
Section 285 Payneham Advertised October 1838  
Section 289 Kensington Surveyed November 1838  
Section 353 Hindmarsh 18 July 1838  
Section 354 Bowden By July 1839 See the South Australian Register, Saturday, 27 July 1839 (page 2 column b)
Section 374 Prospect 1838  
Sections 379 & 392 Tam O'Shanter 1838  
Section 409 Tenterden By 1840  
Section 423 Albert Town 7 March 1839  
Section 425 Miner's Village By February 1845 See the South Australian, Friday, 14 February 1845 (page 3 column c)
Section 443 Queen's Town By June 1848 Partially surveyed and offered for sale by 22 June 1848.
(The South Australian newspaper, Friday 23 June 1848, page 3, column d)
Section 5521 Anstey By 1840s  
Sections 5537 & 5538 Riversedge By January 1847 See the South Australian, Tuesday, 19 January 1847 (page 5 column c)
Sections 5537 & 5538 Silver Mine TBA  
Section 5586 Montacute Copper Mine TBA  
Section 5597 Victoria Gold Mine TBA  
N/A Glenelg 1836  
N/A Holdfast Bay 1836  
N/A Mount Lofty 23 March 1802  
N/A River Thames TBA  

How To Use These Map Pages

Use the thumbnail map at the top of each page to navigate your way around the map.

Hovering your mouse pointer over the thumbnails will highlight the individual sections, and display a pop-up message showing the area covered by that section of the map. Click the desired area to jump to a page displaying a full size image of the map section. You will need to scroll down the page a little to see the image of the map.

A coloured thumbnail image on the thumbnail map at the top of the page will show you which section of the entire map you are currently viewing.

Click To Enlarge

Once you are viewing the desired map section, you can click on the map image to view an enlarged image of that section.

Clicking on the map images allows you to switch back and forth ('toggle') between the normal sized image and the enlarged view of the section.



This site has been accessed Counter times.

Copyright Date